Monday, May 18, 2026 - Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde, has confirmed that seven teachers were abducted during the recent attack on schools in the Oriire area of the state, while the exact number of missing pupils is still being determined.
The governor disclosed this on Sunday while addressing
journalists on the security situation following the invasion of the schools by
suspected gunmen.
He had earlier met with service commanders and heads of
security agencies in the state to receive an update on the kidnapping incident.
Makinde revealed that an Islamic Studies teacher was killed
during the attack, adding that security agencies had already arrested six
suspects within the community and three other persons of interest in connection
with the incident.
According to him, the attackers are believed to be members
of armed groups fleeing intensified military operations against terrorists and
bandits in the North-West.
“With the pressure on the terrorists and the bandits in the
North-West, they will keep moving southward,” the governor said.
Makinde noted that he had been engaging with authorities in
other states over the growing security threat, warning that terrorists
displaced from conflict zones could take advantage of areas with weak security
presence.
“But the problem that we have is when you have pressure in
one place, we must be prepared on this side to either repel or neutralise any
terrorists fleeing the pressure points,” he stated.
The governor further disclosed that preliminary intelligence
reports suggested that some of those arrested might have acted as informants
for the attackers within the affected communities.
“The information available is that about six individuals
have been arrested within the locality. Some of them we believe are informants.
Also, three individuals of interest have been arrested,” Makinde added.
He stressed that the state government would not rely solely
on military action in tackling the crisis, noting that consultations were
ongoing with religious and community leaders, including officials of the
Baptist Convention, as one of the affected schools is owned by the church.
“We have decided that we will adopt not just a kinetic
approach. We are engaging leaders, elders and religious leaders, especially at
the Baptist Convention,” he said.
Makinde appealed to residents to remain calm and assured
families of the abducted victims that efforts were underway to secure their
safe return.
“We are not taking this lightly. We will do everything
within our means to resolve this quickly and bring our children back safely,”
the governor assured.
Describing the development as “very difficult and
challenging,” Makinde announced that the state government would commence daily
press briefings to keep residents updated on rescue operations and security
efforts.

0 Comments