Monday, May 18, 2026 -The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo a public health emergency of international concern.
The declaration follows confirmed outbreaks caused by the
Bundibugyo strain of the Ebola virus in both countries, with cases now detected
across multiple locations, including capital cities.
WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus announced
the decision after consultations with authorities in the affected nations,
saying the outbreak now constitutes a Public Health Emergency of International
Concern, though it does not yet qualify as a pandemic emergency.
The agency said the outbreak in DR Congo's eastern Ituri
province, which has seen around 246 suspected cases and 80 deaths reported,
does not meet the criteria of a pandemic emergency.
But it warned it could potentially be "a much larger
outbreak" than what is currently being detected and reported, with
significant risk of local and regional spread.
In a statement, the Ugandan government said the patient who
died was a Congolese citizen whose body had already been returned to DR Congo.
A laboratory has also confirmed an Ebola case in the eastern
city of Goma, currently controlled by the M23 rebels, the AFP news agency
reported on Sunday.
The WHO said the ongoing security situation and humanitarian
crisis in DR Congo, combined with high population mobility, the urban location
of the hotspot, and the large number of informal healthcare facilities in the
region increased the risk of spread.
Countries bordering the DR Congo are considered high risk
due to trade and travel.
The WHO advised that DR Congo and Uganda establish emergency
operation centres to monitor, trace, and implement infection-prevention
measures.
To minimise spread, the health agency said confirmed cases
should be immediately isolated and treated until two Bundibugyo virus-specific
tests conducted at least 48 hours apart are negative.
For countries bordering regions with confirmed cases,
governments should enhance surveillance and health reporting.
The WHO added that countries outside the affected region
should not close their borders or restrict travel and trade as "such
measures are usually implemented out of fear and have no basis in
science".
WHO director general Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus warned
there are currently "significant uncertainties to the true number of
infected persons and geographic spread" of the outbreak.

0 Comments