Sunday, May 17, 2026 - A massive overnight drone assault launched by Ukraine targeted multiple regions across Russia, killing at least four people in what Russian authorities described as one of the largest aerial barrages of the war so far.
Russia’s defence ministry said air defence systems
intercepted 556 Ukrainian drones overnight, with an additional 30 drones
reportedly shot down after dawn.
According to the ministry, interceptions took place across
14 Russian regions, as well as over the annexed Crimean Peninsula and the Black
and Azov seas. Volodymyr Zelensky defended the operation, calling it “entirely
justified” retaliation for continued Russian attacks on Ukrainian cities.
“Our responses to Russia’s prolongation of the war and its
attacks on our cities and communities are entirely justified,” Zelensky said.
“This time, Ukrainian long-range sanctions reached the Moscow region, and we
are clearly telling the Russians: their state must end its war.”
Ukraine’s defence ministry described the assault as the
largest attack on the Moscow region since Russia launched its full-scale
invasion in February 2022. In the Moscow region, Governor Andrey Vorobyov said
a woman was killed after a drone struck a private home, while two men also died
in the attack.
He added that four people were wounded and infrastructure
facilities had been targeted. Authorities in Moscow said air defence systems
intercepted more than 80 drones around the capital overnight, with 12 people
reportedly injured.
Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin said one strike wounded
construction workers near an oil and gas refinery. “Refinery production has not
been disrupted. Three residential buildings were damaged,” Sobyanin stated.
Although the Moscow region has faced periodic drone attacks throughout the
conflict, direct strikes near the Russian capital, located roughly 400
kilometres from the Ukrainian border, remain relatively rare.
In Russia’s Belgorod region bordering Ukraine, local
officials said a man was killed after a drone struck a lorry in the Shebekino
district. Meanwhile, the Ukrainian air force claimed it intercepted 279 Russian
drones out of 287 launched overnight by Moscow.
Diplomatic efforts to end the war have largely stalled, with
Kyiv rejecting Russian territorial demands in the eastern Donbas region,
arguing they would amount to surrender. The United States has continued pushing
both sides toward negotiations, though momentum has slowed amid shifting global
attention to the conflict involving Israel and Iran.
Following the expiration of a US-brokered three-day truce
earlier this week, both Russia and Ukraine resumed heavy attacks, each accusing
the other of violating the ceasefire. Ukraine said its latest strikes targeted
strategic infrastructure facilities inside Russia.
According to Ukraine’s defence ministry, the attack hit the
Moscow Oil Refinery, the Solnechnogorsk oil depot and several microelectronics
manufacturing facilities for the first time. “The war is returning to where it
came from,” the ministry said in a statement.
Ukraine has increasingly used long-range drone strikes
against Russian oil and industrial facilities in an effort to weaken revenues
supporting Moscow’s military operations.

0 Comments