Friday, May 22, 2026 - Hundreds of people gathered outside Ireland’s parliament on Thursday in protest following the death of a man from the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) who was restrained outside a department store in Dublin.
The Congolese man has d!ed in Dublin after he was allegedly pinned to the ground by security guards following accusations of shoplifting.
Yves Sakila, 35, was pronounced de@d in hospital after he was held on the
ground outside Arnotts on Friday afternoon last week, following the alleged
theft of perfume bottles from the store.
Footage shared online appears to show Mr Sakila pinned to the pavement by several men for almost five minutes, with one guard appearing to place a knee on the back of his head or neck as shoppers watched on.
After more than three minutes, Mr Sakila appeared unresponsive, before the
guards released him.
Irish police said security personnel detained Mr Sakila shortly after 5pm
in connection with an alleged shoplifting incident before he became
unresponsive at the scene.
Mr Sakila, who had been living in Ireland since 2004, was taken to the hospital where he was later pronounced dead.
The deeply disturbing footage has sparked anger among Ireland's minority
communities.
Ireland's Taoiseach Micheál Martin said the incident must be 'thoroughly
investigated'.
'The full circumstances of what happened need to be examined and investigated fully and thoroughly. The situation is deeply concerning,' he told parliament on Tuesday.
Police said an investigation into all the circumstances surrounding the
incident remains ongoing. Officers also said a man in his 80s was injured at
the scene as Mr Sakila allegedly attempted to flee.
The Garda Ombudsman, known as Fiosrú, is examining the incident after it
was referred by police.
CONGOLESE MAN DIES AFTER BEING PINNED DOWN BY SECURITY IN DUBLIN
— G R I F T Y (@GriftReport) May 21, 2026
35-year-old Congolese man Yves Sakila died after being pinned down by multiple security guards outside Arnotts department store on Henry Street.
Sakila, who had lived in Ireland since 2004, was accused of… pic.twitter.com/gBco5XJayw




0 Comments