Monday, May 18, 2026 - Iran said Monday it had responded to a new US proposal aimed at ending the war, adding that exchanges were continuing despite Iranian media reports describing Washington’s demands as excessive. Washington and Tehran have been swapping proposals in an effort to end the conflict which broke out on February 28. The two sides have held a single round of talks so far amid a fragile ceasefire in place since April 8.
“As we announced yesterday, our concerns were conveyed to
the American side,” foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei said during a
press briefing Monday, adding that exchanges were “continuing through the
Pakistani mediator”, without providing details.
Baqaei defended Iran’s demands including the release of
Iranian assets frozen abroad and the lifting of long-standing sanctions. “The
points raised are Iranian demands that have been firmly defended by the Iranian
negotiating team in every round of negotiations,” he said. He also defended an
Iranian stipulation that the US pay war reparations, describing the conflict as
“illegal and baseless”. On the possibility of another military confrontation,
Baqaei said Iran was “fully prepared for any eventuality”.
On Sunday, Iran’s Fars news agency said Washington had
presented a five-point list, which included a demand for Iran to keep only one
nuclear site in operation and transfer its stockpile of highly enriched uranium
to the United States. The US had refused to release “even 25 percent” of Iran’s
frozen assets or pay any reparations for war damage, according to Fars. The
report said the US had also made clear it would only cease hostilities when
Tehran engages in formal peace negotiations.
Iran’s Mehr news agency said “the United States, offering no
tangible concessions, wants to obtain concessions that it failed to obtain
during the war, which will lead to an impasse in the negotiations”. It
described the US conditions as “excessive”. In an earlier proposal, which was
sent last week, Iran had called for an end to the war on all fronts, including
Israel’s campaign in Lebanon, as well as a halt to a US naval blockade on
Iranian ports in place since April 13. It also called for the lifting of all US
sanctions on Iran and the release of its assets frozen abroad. Fars said that
Iranian proposal had emphasised that Tehran would continue to manage the
strategic Strait of Hormuz, a vital energy conduit which Iran has largely kept
closed since the start of the war.
Iran said Monday it had responded to a new US proposal aimed
at ending the war, adding that exchanges were continuing despite Iranian media
reports describing Washington’s demands as excessive. Washington and Tehran
have been swapping proposals in an effort to end the conflict which broke out
on February 28. The two sides have held a single round of talks so far amid a
fragile ceasefire in place since April 8.
“As we announced yesterday, our concerns were conveyed to
the American side,” foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei said during a
press briefing Monday, adding that exchanges were “continuing through the
Pakistani mediator”, without providing details.
Baqaei defended Iran’s demands including the release of
Iranian assets frozen abroad and the lifting of long-standing sanctions. “The
points raised are Iranian demands that have been firmly defended by the Iranian
negotiating team in every round of negotiations,” he said.
He also defended an Iranian stipulation that the US pay war
reparations, describing the conflict as “illegal and baseless”. On the
possibility of another military confrontation, Baqaei said Iran was “fully
prepared for any eventuality”.
On Sunday, Iran’s Fars news agency said Washington had
presented a five-point list, which included a demand for Iran to keep only one
nuclear site in operation and transfer its stockpile of highly enriched uranium
to the United States. The US had refused to release “even 25 percent” of Iran’s
frozen assets or pay any reparations for war damage, according to Fars. The
report said the US had also made clear it would only cease hostilities when
Tehran engages in formal peace negotiations.
Iran’s Mehr news agency said “the United States, offering no
tangible concessions, wants to obtain concessions that it failed to obtain
during the war, which will lead to an impasse in the negotiations”. It
described the US conditions as “excessive”. In an earlier proposal, which was
sent last week, Iran had called for an end to the war on all fronts, including
Israel’s campaign in Lebanon, as well as a halt to a US naval blockade on
Iranian ports in place since April 13.
It also called for the lifting of all US sanctions on Iran
and the release of its assets frozen abroad. Fars said that Iranian proposal
had emphasised that Tehran would continue to manage the strategic Strait of
Hormuz, a vital energy conduit which Iran has largely kept closed since the
start of the war.

0 Comments