Friday, May 22, 2026 - Former President Raul Castro, pictured in 2017, has been indicted by a US court, as Washington continues to ramp up pressure on Cuba
China and Russia have
condemned a US decision to charge Cuba's former president Raúl Castro with
murder.
The Chinese foreign
ministry called on the US to stop using "coercion" and
"threats" against its ally, while the Kremlin said the pressure being
exerted on Havana "borders on violence".
The US has accused
Castro over the 1996 downing of two planes, an incident that killed four people
and fuelled diplomatic tensions between Washington and the Caribbean island.
US President Donald
Trump has repeatedly sought to exert pressure on Cuba and has openly discussed
toppling its communist regime.
The US has imposed fresh
sanctions on the country and imposed an effective blockade on oil shipments to
Cuba, exacerbating a fuel crisis there and leading to extended blackouts and
food shortages.
Kremlin spokesman Dmitry
Peskov told Russian state media on Thursday that the US pressure campaign
against Russia's long-time ally, including the indictment Castro, "cannot
be condoned".
"We believe that
under no circumstances should such methods - which border on violence - be used
against either former or current heads of state," he added.
Chinese foreign ministry
spokesman Guo Jiakun had earlier said the US should "stop threatening
force at every turn", and that Beijing "firmly supports Cuba".
He said Beijing opposed
"any attempt by external forces to exert pressure on Cuba under any
pretext".
Guo continued: "The
United States should cease using sanctions and judicial apparatus as tools of
coercion against Cuba and refrain from making threats of force at every
turn."
Castro was charged
alongside five others on Wednesday over their alleged involvement in the
shooting down of the two planes, which had been travelling between Cuba and
Florida when they were struck.
He was accused of
offences that carry penalties of life in prison or death.
The aircraft, which were
operated by the Cuban-American dissident group Brothers to the Rescue, had been
carrying three US citizens when they were downed, all of whom were killed.
At the time, Castro -
who stepped down as president in 2018 - was head of the country's armed forces.
The incident caused
outcry among Cuban exiles living in the US and has long been a source of
contention between Washington and Havana.
Cuba's President Miguel
Díaz-Canel has described the charges as "a political manoeuvre, devoid of
any legal foundation".
Since capturing former Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro
in January, Trump has openly mused that Cuba was "ready to fall".
It was a federal indictment against the left-wing
authoritarian Maduro that was used by the Trump administration as its
justification for its raid on the Venezuelan capital, Caracas, to seize him and
his wife, Cilia Flores. The pair are now due to stand trial in New York on
charges including drug trafficking.
US Secretary of State
Marco Rubio declined to comment on whether or how the administration was
planning to get Castro to the US to stand trial.
He told reporters in
Florida on Thursday that the former Cuban leader "openly admits and brags
about" giving the order to shoot down the planes.
Asked about the US using
force to achieve regime change in Cuba, Rubio said the administration's
preference was a negotiated settlement, but added: "He has the option to
do that if there's a threat to the national security of the United States - and
he has shown his willingness to do that when he identifies such a threat."
On Wednesday, he issued
a message to the Cuban people in Spanish that similarly cast the Trump
administration's moves as "offering a new path", trading a
kleptocratic regime for the sorts of freedoms enjoyed by Cuban-Americans.
Cuban officials have
been in talks with the US on finding solutions to the two countries'
differences for several months, with a single Russian shipment of oil that was
allowed to reach the island running out earlier this month.
But in the meantime, the
White House has continued to ratchet up pressure on Havana.
Earlier this month,
Trump signed an executive order imposing sanctioning against officials in
Cuba's energy, defence, financial and security sectors, as well as individuals
the US alleges have carried out human rights abuses or stolen public assets.
US surveillance flights
near the island have also reportedly increased and the CIA director demanded
that Cuba "no longer be a safe haven for adversaries" while on a
visit there last week.
Cuba had until recently
survived crippling Western sanctions due to the help of regional allies, such
as Maduro's government in Venezuela, which was believed to have sent it around
35,000 barrels of oil a day prior to his capture.

0 Comments