Monday, May 18, 2026 - The Abia State Police Command has arrested a man identified as Chidi Stanley, over the d3ath of his 8-year-old daughter in Obiohuru, Akwete.
The spokesperson for the command, DSP Maureen Chioma
Chinaka, who confirmed the incident in a statement on Saturday, May 16, 2026
dismissed as false and misleading a viral social media video accusing officers
from the Akwete Divisional Police Headquarters of misconduct and reckless use
of firearms.
According to the PPRO, the incident followed the arrest of
the suspect on May 11.
She said the suspect threw a stone at his sister during a
domestic altercation.
The stone tragically struck his daughter who was later
confirmed d3ad at a hospital by a medical doctor.
Chinaka said the family concealed the incident and and
proceeded to secretly prepare for the burial of the deceased.
Police operatives, who were acting on intelligence, arrived
the scene and demanded access to the child’s lifeless body.
However, the family, supported by some youths of the
community, resisted police intervention and denied access, creating a tense and
potentially.
"The
Abia State Police Command is aware of a viral video circulating on social media
depicting misconduct and misuse of firearms by officers of Akwete Divisional
Police Headquarters. The Command categorically states that the claims are false
and do not reflect the true circumstances surrounding the incident,” the
statement read.
"Acting
on actionable intelligence, operatives of the Akwete Divisional Police
Headquarters apprehended one Mr. Chidi Stanley of Obiohuru, Akwete, on
11/05/2026.
"The
suspect, during a domestic altercation with his sister, Mrs. Chinyere Stanley,
allegedly threw a stone at her, which tragically struck his 8-year-old
daughter, Miss Chiamaka Stanley.
"The
child was immediately rushed to a nearby hospital, where she was confirmed d3ad
by a medical doctor.
"The
family concealed the incident, failed to report it to the police, and proceeded
to secretly prepare for the burial of the deceased.
"Acting
on intelligence, police operatives arrived the scene, questioned the situation,
and requested access to the child’s body while inviting the family to the
station.
"However,
the family, supported by some youths of the community, resisted police
intervention and denied access, creating a tense and potentially violent
situation.
"The
officers documented the scene, including the already-dug grave, and withdrew to
prevent escalation.
"Subsequently,
the Division issued an official invitation to the family and engaged community
leaders, which led to compliance.
"Following
preliminary investigations, the case, along with the suspect, was transferred
the same day to the State Criminal Investigation Department (SCID), where
investigation is currently ongoing.
"Following these developments, some youths in the
community became agitated and attempted to attack officers and the police
station.
"Despite repeated appeals for calm and explanations
that the case had been transferred to SCID, the mob remained violent.
"Officers were compelled to defend themselves,
protect police property, and prevent further breakdown of law and order.
Community leaders intervened and publicly condemned the actions of the youths.
"The Commissioner of Police, Abia State Command, CP
Danladi Isa, reiterates the Command’s commitment to the vision of the
Inspector-General of Police, emphasizing professionalism, civility, and
discipline among officers.
"He assures that the Command will continue to uphold
its constitutional responsibilities, including the protection of lives and
property, prevention and detection of crime, and maintenance of law and order,
without bias.
"The CP further urges residents of Abia State to
cooperate with the police in crime prevention and detection, rather than
shielding suspects or engaging in violent acts that could amount to aiding and
abetting crime under the law.
"He warns that attacks on police officers performing
their lawful duties will not be tolerated, and efforts are ongoing to identify
and apprehend those involved in the attempted attack on officers and police
facilities.
“The public is advised to disregard misinformation and
avoid spreading unverified reports. Abians are advised to support the police by
providing timely and credible information to aid effective and efficient
policing. Together, we keep Abia safe.”

0 Comments