Police thwart terrorists attack in Kebbi




Sunday, February 22 2026 - The Kebbi State Police Command has repelled a late-night attack by suspected bandits along the Maje border road, thwarting what authorities described as a coordinated attempt to breach security under the cover of darkness.

The incident occurred at about 9:45 p.m. on February 20, 2026, when armed men, believed to be members of the Lakurawa criminal network, reportedly advanced towards security positions while moving a herd of cattle to conceal their movement.

Operatives of the Nigeria Police Force Counter Terrorism Unit, who were on alert, engaged the attackers in a gun duel, forcing them to retreat.

The Commissioner of Police, Umar Mohammed Hadeija, confirmed that the swift response of officers prevented casualties and further damage.

“Our operatives were vigilant and responded professionally to the attack. The bandits were repelled and forced to flee.

Although some temporary security structures were damaged, no lives were lost and no injuries were recorded,” he said in a statement issued on Saturday.

Hadeija added that security reinforcement had been deployed along the border corridor and assured residents that the situation remained calm and fully under control.

He warned herders and livestock owners against night grazing or moving cattle in ways that could create suspicion or provide cover for criminal elements.

“We urge herders and livestock owners to desist from night grazing or the movement of cattle in a manner that creates suspicion or provides cover for criminals.

Security agencies will take firm and lawful action against any unlawful activity linked to such practices,” he stated.

The Police Public Relations Officer, Bashir Usman, reiterated the command’s commitment to sustaining pressure on criminal networks operating in border communities.

“The Kebbi State Police Command remains committed to protecting lives and property across the state. We will not relent in our efforts to dismantle criminal groups threatening the peace of our communities,” he said.

Residents were urged to continue their lawful activities without fear as security agencies intensify patrols and surveillance along vulnerable routes.

Post a Comment

0 Comments