Wednesday, August 19, 2026 - The Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) remains a global health emergency, the World Health Organization (WHO) has warned, saying that the number of cases in the country has passed 5,000.
Following an emergency meeting on Tuesday, WHO
Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus called on the international
community to assist in efforts to contain the outbreak, which has killed more
than 2,320 people.
“We must be frank: The epidemic is far from being under
control,” Tedros told the emergency meeting. “It had a big head start, and we
are still playing catch-up.”
The outbreak is the seventeenth in the DRC and is now the
deadliest, exceeding the number of people killed during the 2018 to 2020
outbreak – 2,299.
The emergency has caused more concern than usual for several
reasons, including the fact that there is currently no approved vaccine or
treatment for this strain of Ebola, known as Bundibugyo.
Response efforts have been further complicated by conflict
in the mineral-rich DRC, as well as misinformation, distrust of health workers,
and cultural traditions, among other factors.
Tedros warned on Tuesday that the outbreak was spreading at
an “unprecedented speed” and that the locations of many of the deaths show
there are chains of transmission yet to be identified.
The epidemic will continue until every chain is found and
broken, he warned.
WHO medic Thierno Balde told reporters that motorbike riders
are now a core focus of response efforts due to their transport duties,
including delivering patients and dead bodies.
“Hand-washing stations and disinfectant have been made
available, but the new objective is to recruit them as surveillance and
response officers,” Dr Balde added, as the organisation makes a major push to
increase community engagement in tackling the disease.
Get instant alerts and
updates based on your interests. Be the first to know when big stories happen.
The outbreak was declared on May 17, but genetic sequencing
of samples shows that it began spreading three months earlier, in February.
The first volunteer to receive an experimental vaccine for
this strain of Ebola received his jab in the United Kingdom last month.
Hundreds of thousands of doses of the vaccine, produced by scientists at Oxford
University, have already been manufactured in India and are ready for immediate
use if the trials are successful.

0 Comments