Teen dies after jumping into electrified lake while celebrating

Monday, July 8, 2024 
-A Colorado teen died after he jumped into an electrified lake while celebrating on the 4th of July.

 Jesse Hamric, 18, dove into the water at Smith Mountain Lake outside Roanoke, Virginia, early Thursday morning, when friends immediately noticed something was wrong.

 The friends jumped in after Hamric and felt shocked upon entering the water. 

 Despite their own injuries, they could pull Hamric out, according to WDBJ. 

 One of the friends began CPR on Hamric while another called for help.

 Rescue crews arrived at around 4 a.m. and rushed Hamric to a hospital, where he later died. 

 His two friends suffered minor injuries.

 An investigation by fire crews detected electrical currents in the water where the teen died, and police determined it was caused by stray voltage spreading from a dock at a nearby private residence. 

 No foul play is suspected in the death. 

 Hamric had been visiting friends with his family at the time of the freak accident.

 He had just graduated from high school in May, where he excelled on the football and baseball teams. 

 “Ever since I first met that kid, I mean, he’s like one of a kind,” friend Alex Schwab told KDVR. 

 “You see him and you just, like, he always has a smile on his face.” 

 “Still can’t even like process it. I’m so upset by it,” he added.



Post a Comment